“The pop culture site that plays for your team.”
Posted by Art Reker on December 13, 2011
In 2011, if they asked, we told. We heard more gay and gay-supportive voices than ever before. There were fights, big and small. But there was also a whole lotta love. Here’s a selection of the most memorable things people had to say about being gay this year.
- I’m beautiful in my way ’cause God makes no mistakes. I’m on the right track baby, I was born this way.
Lady Gaga, chorus to “Born This Way”
- Make no mistake, I am a Christian and I believe in God and I don’t believe he makes mistakes, so I believe that being gay is not a sin and in fact it’s how you’re made.
Actress Kristin Chenoweth appearing on The Joy Behar Show
- Remember, the change you want to see in the world, and in your school, begins with you.
Tyler Clementi’s father, Joseph Clementi opening remarks at Rutgers University’s symposium on the use and misuse of social networking
- If you don’t like gay marriage, blame straight people. They’re the ones who keep having gay babies.
Sign outside an NYC restaurant
- These people who are making a big deal out of gay marriage? I don’t give a f*ck about who wants to get married to anybody else! Why not?! We’re making a big deal out of things we shouldn’t be making a deal out of. They go on and on with all this bullsh*t about ‘sanctity’. Don’t give me that sanctity crap! Just give everybody the chance to have the life they want.
Oscar winner Clint Eastwood
- Attention every breeder, you’re invited to the theatre, it’s not just for gays anymore!
Tony Awards host Neil Patrick Harris’ opening number
- I’m not ashamed to be a Christian. But you don’t have to be in the pew every Sunday to know that there’s something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can’t openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school.
Texas Governor and GOP presidential candidate Rick Perry in his “Strong” campaign commercial
- The Republican path to victory is compromised when gay Americans are perceived as being attacked for just being how God created them.
Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus
- He was the up and equal homosexual who would not sit at the back of the bus.
Yale Law Professor William Eskridge, honoring the late gay rights pioneer, Frank Kameny
- We need marriage equality in every state in this nation. Otherwise, no state really has marriage equality, and we will not rest until it is a reality.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo
- When I was a kid out here in L.A., I was homeless, I didn’t have any money and I was living in my car. I wasn’t averse to going down to Santa Monica Boulevard and letting a guy buy me a sandwich. Know what I mean?
Hung star Thomas Jane on his early days in Hollywood.
- “Niggas is gay. There’s millions of gay people in the world. Girls too… I’m a fan of ‘Yo, I’m gay. The f*ck.’ Like, 2011 you gotta hide that you’re gay? Like, you know what I’m saying, like, be real, like ‘Yo I’m gay, what the f*ck.’ If you gay you gay. Like that’s your preference, you know? F*ck it if the people don’t like it.”
DJ Fat Joe in response to whether he’s ever done a song with a gay rapper.
- I wanted to show America a different kind of man. If there was someone like me when I was growing up, my whole life would have been different.
Dancing With the Stars contestant Chaz Bono on his elimination from the series.
- I’m not ashamed of what I did. It doesn’t define me or who I am.
MTV Real World cast member and former gay porn model Dustin Zito
- People from pre-sexual revolution and even from the 60s and the birth of the gay movement still define gay as two men or two women having sex. Our generation defines it from a more emotional standpoint. To be gay means you are drawn to the same sex. But it’s a part of who you are, an identity, not an act.
J. Edgar screenwriter Dustin Lance Black in aWSJ interview.
- In the gay world, [relationships] will always be open. There is no curbing the gay man.
Bravo network’s Millionaire Matchmaker Patti Stanger
- Well, you show me the science [that being gay is not a choice] and I’ll be persuaded.
Republican presidential aspirant Herman Cain on The View
- Is it adultery if I’m committing it at one end of a guy and he’s committing it at the other end of that same guy?
Dan Savage when asked by Stephen Colbert if he’s ever committed adultery.
- A lot of people are curious why I’m a lesbian. Ladies and gentlemen, the cast of Entourage!
Emmy Awards host Jane Lynch
- OMG! Is this true? [Marcus Bachmann] has a Christian clinic where he de-programs gay boys & girls! I’m gonna strangle him with my Boa!
Cher on Twitter
- I really think, without trying to give us credit that we don’t deserve, I really feel like Kurt and Blaine are a modern version of Lucy and Ricky. Oh, I’m Lucy for sure.
So says multi-hyphenate Chris Colfer
- The Democrats want me to live on their plantation as their slave, because I’m a gay person. And I refuse to do that.
A-List: Dallas cast member and Republican consultant Taylor Garrett commenting after allegedlybeing assaulted.
- This show does something very special for the gay community. There’s a message hidden inside the totally gaudy package that is so fun to watch. It’s all about loving and accepting yourself, and every season I’m surprisingly moved by it.
Actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson shares his thoughts on RuPaul’s Drag Race
- We speak for the entire Giants organization when we say that there is no place in society for hatred and bullying against anyone.
San Francisco Giants pitcher Barry Zito in the first “It Gets Better” video made by a major league sports team
- Dad, I’m gay.
Airman 1st class Randy Phillips phoning his father on YouTube after the demise of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”
- I kept thinking, this is my first show, I don’t want to get fired. I was young, I was 22. I didn’t know anything. So that sort of started the idea of, okay, well, I’m working a lot, I guess I’ll just keep that gay part of my life on the back burner for now. I went so far as to sleep with women a couple times. It was a very confusing time for me.
Actor Sean Maher reflects on years in the Hollywood closet
- I do not comment on my client’s personal lives in the media. As for Luke, he did so once, a long time ago when he was an inexperienced, young actor and now with maturity and hindsight, he has learned not to engage the press in his personal life again.
Publicist for actor Luke Evans responds to AfterElton when asked to clarify whether Evans still considers himself openly gay (as he did in a 2002 interview).
- I don’t f*cking care if I pissed off some gays, because if they can take a f*cking dick up their *ss, they can take a f*cking joke.
Tracy Morgan to his audience at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium
- Life is too serious to not laugh and enjoy some humor. I now no longer enjoy Tracy Morgan’s humor … I’m not angry … just very very very disappointed.
From Kevin Roger’s Facebook post, “Why I No Longer ‘Like’ Tracy Morgan”
- I hope for his sake that Tracy’s apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian coworkers at 30 Rock, without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with, or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket.
30 Rock creator Tina Fey reaction
Audience response to a question by gay soldier Stephen Hill at a Republican Presidential debate hosted by FOX News.
- Like being a woman, like being a racial religious tribal or ethnic minority, being LGBT does not make you less human. And that is why gay rights are Human Rights and Human Rights are gay rights.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in a speech to the United Nations
- No country should deny people their rights because of who they love, which is why we must stand up for the rights of gays and lesbians everywhere.
President Barack Obama in a foreign policy memorandum
- I feel that gay people not being able to get married for generations, forever, meant that we came up with alternative ways of recognizing relationships. And I worry that if everybody has access to the same institutions that we lose the creativity of subcultures having to make it on their own. And I like gay culture.
Rachel Maddow discussing her opinion on same-sex marriage.
- Being brought up in a Christian home and still identifying as Christian, I get pretty annoyed with the Christian lobbies around the world who say gay marriage destroys the family and all that kind of rubbish. They claim to follow someone who always stood up for the oppressed and marginalised.
Australian rugby player David Pocock. He and his girlfriend say they won’t get married until their lesbian and gay friends can.
- Sebastian: One of us has a hard luck case of the gay face, and it ain’t me.
- Kurt: You smell like Craigslist.
From the December 6th epiosde of Glee, “Hold On To Sixteen”
- I promise to stand by you unwaveringly through thick and some day, God willing, through thin.
SiriusXM OutQ personality Frank DeCaro broadcasting his wedding vow to husband Jim Colucci